Thursday, October 22, 2009

Books, books, books

One of the main things that I end up hauling out of the homes of my clients is books. Books, books, books. I am an avid reader, so I get the allure. However, the luster quickly fades when you realize that you have no more room in your living room and piles of books in boxes eating up your garage space. So here are some ideas:

• Use the library. Now you can go online to reserve books. When they arrive, the library will email you. What a great system! You may have to wait for a bit on the new releases, but considering you are paying for the library through your taxes, it is smart to get your money’s worth.
• Try http://bookmooch.com/. At Book mooch, you share books with others and all you have to pay is the shipping. While it isn’t free like the library, you won’t have to wait for the new releases.
• And if you absolutely must buy new books, try selling them at www.half.com when you are done. The buyer pays shipping and you can get back part of the cost, plus save space in your home.

I mean, really, if you don’t re-read the book over and over or use if regularly for reference, then you don’t need to have a copy on your shelf. Save a tree, your sanity and a buck by sharing books instead.

Meagan Farrell, professional organizer, is the owner of Clear the Clutter organizing services. She can be reached at (360) 631-7268 or at clear_theclutter@yahoo.com. Check out her blog at http://cleartheclutterprofessionalorganizing.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Theresa Finnigin said...

I re-discovered the library this year and I am loving it. I find it so rewarding to check out a book, enjoy it and return it for FREE. And the best part is I'm not spending money or taking up space in my home - I love it. great post!