Monday, July 5, 2010

Getting the upper hand on back to school

I don’t know about you, but when school was out, I just took my daughter’s back pack and all the supplies that came home and set it in the garage. I was tired and figured it could be dealt with later.

Fast forward to this week when I noticed school supplies are being put out in the various stores already. This got me thinking about that back pack and back to school. I went to the school website and printed up the supply list. Today I found myself with some spare time, so I pulled out that back pack and dumped out all its contents. I used the supply list and went through to see what can be used again next year. I pulled all that out and then got rid of what was broken, empty or no longer needed.

Next I took my list and walked around the house to see what else we had. I found all sorts of things that allowed me to cross more off that once long list. I took everything and put it back into my daughter’s backpack, zipped it up and put it back into the garage. I took the remaining list and put it in my purse so I can pick up what is needed as I am out and about on regular errands.

This whole process took me less than 10 minutes. It is now one less thing to worry about come September. Not only did I save a lot of money by re-using but I am being more eco-friendly as well. I realize that most parents aren’t ready to think about back to school yet, but what better time to knock this out? Come September, you will be glad you have less to get done.


Meagan Farrell, professional organizer, is the owner of Clear the Clutter organizing services. She can be reached at (360) 631-7268 or at clear_theclutter@yahoo.com. Check out her blog at http://cleartheclutterprofessionalorganizing.blogspot.com/

No comments: